Monday 1 March 2010

Mission Accomplished!

For the first time in my blogging career of nearly two weeks, I have something to show you that I've been promising in relation to my Simulation. That's right, I have finished my material decoder. Well, at least functionally, certainly it needs work to be implemented.


That, my reader(s), is my new MatCode Interpreter in action. Type in 11 characters, hit evaluate, and a new shape will be made for you. I admit, it has limited practical use as it doesn't supply exact values (it could, just doesn't), but it gives a good representation of approximate values. The color of the figure shows an interpretation of the material's "Workability Factor," a fancy name for cost modifier. The interpretation is that the darker/redder the color, the more expensive it is to work with. This random material apparently is very cheap to work with. The ten named values are (clockwise from right (3 o'clock)) integrity, conductivity, combustibility, heat resistance [index], transparency, elasticity, magnetism, nuclear value [index], decay resistance [index], and [intrinsic] value. Bear in mind that mid-range values are assumed to be average. In other words, the only places this material is above-average are magnetism, elasticity, heat resistance, and perhaps combustibility.

Above average isn't always better, though.

Anyway, this is my first actually vaguely complex Java program, and my first go with Java graphics aside from JFrames (basically, windows and buttons). I had made the text layout in photoshop, but I decided instead to render it using Java's graphics, in part to better acquaint myself with the system and in part because for a long time I was having trouble figuring out how to get the image into the program. I've since figured it out, but that was after setting Java up to do it.

So... what's my next step? I have no freaking clue. But I have plenty of other classes to work on. Some should be pretty easy, just the structural classes for my JDO database. Others are more involved, making frames and panels for managing different pieces. I have a lot of work to go, but I've made the first sizeable step.

No comments: