Wednesday 17 March 2010

Overcomplication, and How it Simplifies My Life

Did some thinking on MATLAB today. Not content with just doing a GUI, I figure I'm going to implement a simple sort of file I/O system whereby when a user enters constant values it can save them, and then reload them on a later start of the program. The inputs required include some that will be different on each logon, but things like the wingspan, chord length, and (empty) mass (and weight) will always be the same. As a result, it would save time in the long run, assuming, of course, that this program is usable beyond the marks it earns me, to be able to save an aircraft configuration to reference by name at a later point. It should also save time.

I looked over the functions today and, while not simple, they certainly look possible. Since my Java program has yet to actually produce output, and that output is going to be database-oriented, I figured it'd be a good idea to learn the basic .txt input/output procedures. MATLAB is object-oriented, so I should be able to manage stretching the assignment into a learning experience for Java, even if it isn't exact.

Depending on how much time we have (the lecturer suggested he may be pushing the deadline back on account of the actually massive workload we have between his assigning the project and the due date, including this being a solid week of CAD training), I was considering doing a bit more optimization work on the first assignment and packaging both assignments together into an "Aerospace Tools" package, with a central launcher accessing both. But that's entirely optional and will only happen if I do have an extra three weeks (given the holidays starting the day after the current due date, this is possible).

I'm still reading through Yahoo! Answers, having a good time of it. I actually got chosen as a best answer, and the best part of it is that it was the only question I answered half-heartedly. It was someone asking for a good free place to make a blog, and I simply recommended blogspot // blogger here. I like to think I've helped some people out with their code, but I know I won't get some best answers simply because I refuse to actually do people's homework for them, instead choosing to try to explain how they can do it.

That's all for today, though. Tomorrow's the only short day we have this week, so maybe I'll get some coding done.

No comments: